The Reno-Stead Airport (RTS) provides a variety of unique testing conditions for UAS development including, but not limited to, uncontrolled airspace, abundant open space, basin and range topography, variable weather, educated workforce and existing infrastructure.
These testing conditions have positioned RTS on the forefront of research and development, testing and manufacturing to compliment efforts by Desert Research Institute (DRI) and the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), as well as businesses like Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), Tactical Air Support, Helitrak, and Hawkeye UAV.
Specific Test Site Advantages:
- Ideally located approximately ten miles northwest of downtown Reno
- Approximately 5,170 acres including vast amounts of sparsely populated land and open airspace to the north of the airport
- Basin and range topography located at 5,046 ft above sea level
- Easy access to airspace for testing
- Mild temperatures with an average range from 36 (L) to 64 (H)
- Non-military controlled airspace
- FAA compliant control tower with 24/7 operational capabilities
- On-site Operations (Full-service FBO on-site, Navigation and Landing Aids, State-of-the-art terminal with Pilot’s Lounge and EOC)