Stay Current

  • DATE

Weather: Mostly Cloudy 76.0° F

RTAA & History

The Airport Authority

The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority is the owner and operator of the Reno-Tahoe International and Reno-Stead Airports. It is governed by a nine member Board of Trustees, operates as a business, and receives no local tax dollars.

The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is an important asset to the region, generating a total annual economic impact of $2 billion. With emergency personnel, snow removal, building and road maintenance, the airport functions like a small city with over 2,400 employees working for a variety of companies. It takes the dedication and service of these employees working together to make that all important first and last impression on travelers to and from the region.

As the 66th busiest commercial airport in the nation, Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RTIA) serves approximately 4 million passengers per year. Located only 5 minutes from downtown Reno and 40 minutes from some of the finest ski resorts and outdoor recreation in the world, Reno-Tahoe International is the Gateway to Lake Tahoe and the entire region.

3.3 million passengers and 129 million pounds of air cargo arrived and departed Reno-Tahoe International in 2014.

Approximately 100 commercial aircraft take off and land from RNO each day, and general aviation operations match that number.

 

History of the Reno-Tahoe International Airport

Reno-Tahoe International Airport was built in 1929, originally named Hubbard Field, after Eddie Hubbard, VP and Operations Manager of Boeing Air Transport. Hubbard helped develop transcontinental air service. In 1936 United Airlines acquired the airport from Boeing, and continued to own and operate the airport until 1953 when the City of Reno purchased it.

A new terminal building was dedicated in 1960, completed just in time for the Squaw Valley Olympic Games.

The Airport Authority of Washoe County was created in 1977 by the Nevada State Legislature to own and operate the airport beginning in 1978. In July 2005 the name was changed to Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority.

The airport was named Reno-Tahoe International Airport in 1994, with the terminal building named after United States Senator Howard. W. Cannon for his distinguished contributions to commercial aviation.

Reno-Tahoe International Airport was proud to celebrate 75 Years of Service in November 2003.