Reno-Stead Airport (RTS)
The Reno-Stead Airport is a 5,000 acre general aviation facility that serves as a reliever airport for Reno-Tahoe International Airport. Approximately 200 aircraft are based at Reno-Stead. This award winning airfield earned a well-deserved Airport Safety Award in 2006 from the Federal Aviation Administration in recognition of its safety enhancements, tenant relations, and community outreach.
Photos courtesy of Mark Johnston - www.intsysint.com
Located approximately 15 miles north of Reno, Reno-Stead Airport is working to develop itself as a major economic hub in the north valley. Recent improvements have included a new Air Tanker Facility opened by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) as well as 9,000 feet of new runway and upgrades to runway lighting.
Recently Completed Improvements:
- Runway 8/26 Area Safety Improvement - May 2011.
- Runway 32 Instrument Landing System (ILS) commissioned November 2009.
- A Wide Area Augment System (WAAS) was established at Stead in 2006.
- Runway 14/32 was lengthened to its current 9,000 ft. dimension.
- Several on-airport road reconstructions have made access and security better.
Now Open: Stead Airport Terminal Building & Emergency Operations Center
Construction is now complete! On December 16, 2013, the new Reno-Stead Airport Terminal Building opened to serve the General Aviation community. The two story, 12,000 square foot building provides an Emergency Operations Center, Administrative Office, Community Conference Room, and a Pilot’s Lounge.The Freedom Flight Terminal is dedicated to the nation’s veterans who have served in the armed forces.